New Teacher Q & A

Emily Fox-Million, Editor-in-chief, Social Media Manager

Interview with Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, CaraShea Hughes 

1. What is your greatest accomplishment?

“My greatest accomplishment is graduating college because I was a first-generation student, but also to get out of college and get a job right away is a big deal as well”

2. What inspires you to teach?

“When I was in high school my father passed away my freshman year, so it made me hate the idea of going to school. When I had the teachers that lifted me up and helped me finish school I always felt like I wanted to be that teacher for kids.”

3. What would your last meal be?

“Sweet pork smothered burrito at Café Mexicali, with white and green sauce and chips.”

4. What’s your most embarrassing moment?

“Last Friday I was running up the stairs, and a kid stepped on the back of my shoe. I fell face first, flat onto the stairs. My computer went flying and my coffee went down the stairs. I had to just laugh about it.”

5. What is the worst trend you’ve seen your students participating in?

“Recently I feel like it is the devious lick, but platform shoes are really coming back. Are going to look back and ask “Did I really wear those converse that are 4 inches tall?” I just don’t think that it is going to pan out well in the future.”

6. What is a song you know every lyric to?

“Rich Girl by Gwen Stefani”

7. If you won the lottery, what would you do with the money?

“I would buy a house for myself and probably a vacation home that I could make money off of. But I would also try to get my mom and brother a place to live so that they would not have to worry about anything.”

8. What is one of your hidden talents?

“I am not a dancer, I am not musically inclined at all. But yoga and photography are hobbies of mine.”

9. Is there another teacher’s class that you’d like to enroll in for a day? What is it and why?

“If I had to go back and be a student I would do interior design or fashion design with Mrs. Preston. Right now I am in the process of moving into our first house and I have no idea how to decorate it.

10. What is your favorite quote?

“If you want to go fast go alone, if you want to go far go together, which I have always gone by.”

11.  Favorite school Sport?

“I love football because of the energy that it brings.” 

12. If you could come up with your own school spirit day what would it be? 

“I think that a dress like your teacher day would be hilarious. 

13. What’s your favorite thing about teaching at Collins? 

“I love the students, but more specifically I love the community of student. They have such a great population of getting involved because it is fun. The relationship building is amazing.”

14. If you were principal for a day what would you do?

“If I were principal for a day I would spend one minute in each classroom. They are so busy behind the scenes, but it would be significant to get a picture of everyone’s background and teaching style.”

15. What does being a Lambkin mean to you? 

“Being a Lambkin means putting the we instead of the I. Being a Lambkin is coming together and making sure that everyone is being the best they can be together.”