Seniors reflect, offer advice for younger selves

The class of 2024 tosses their caps into the air to celebrate graduation. Spilled Ink asked members of the graduating class to share advice for their freshman selves. Photo courtesy of PSD
Gretchen Coon
Gretchen Coon

“I would say work hard, and don’t give up.”

Emily Coskrey
Emily Coskrey

“The advice for a freshman would be to believe in yourself and what you are.”

Erin Dangerfield
Erin Dangerfield

“I would tell my younger self to enjoy high school more and not worry as much about my GPA or grades, but just to enjoy the experience.”

Maya Dhakal
Maya Dhakal

“Say yes to every opportunity because you will have walked away with at least something new. And make friends but also keep them close, because they will always be there for you when you need them the most.”

Joel Lopez
Joel Lopez

“Advice I’d give myself is just to stay on top of my classes and just do all the work needed in class so you won’t fall behind and have bad grades.”

Alvin Nguyen
Alvin Nguyen

“Try and have some long term goals planned out ahead so you have something to work for.”

Nicholas Orozco
Nicholas Orozco

“I think I’d tell my freshman self to just do as much as I can. Don’t be afraid of spending too long transitioning and just start doing stuff.”

Kylee Pham
Kylee Pham

“I would tell my freshman self to have a normal sleep schedule and not take that nap after school that would last four hours.”

Michaela Quinn
Michaela Quinn

“Get involved and put yourself out there. Just do things that you maybe originally wouldn’t do that’s outside your comfort zone because you’ll learn from it and the experience will be really good.”

Gideon Rank
Gideon Rank

“I think if I were to tell my freshman self one thing it would be to not be afraid to challenge myself and to branch out, meet people, make friends, and just to enjoy my time here.” 

Flora Sanderson
Flora Sanderson

“I think two things: I think that if you’re truly yourself and you let all your interests and personality show, people will like you and you’ll find friends. And you’ll find more authentic friends than if you try to fit in. And then I think the other is to follow your passions and your loves because then you’ll never need motivation and you’ll be successful because you put a lot of heart into whatever you do.”

Emma Soto
Emma Soto

“A piece of advice I’d give my freshman self is to do more clubs and maybe try a little bit harder in high school.”