The Student News Site of Fort Collins High School

Spilled Ink

Spilled Ink

Spilled Ink

Follow our Instagram

@fchsspilledink: The Lambkin cross country team raced at FCHS this morning against other local schools. Both the boys and girls placed third.

Quartet and trio to perform classical saxophone concerts

Tony Lull
Practicing for upcoming performances, freshman Brendan McKellar plays “The Sea Between” on baritone saxophone. The FCHS Saxophone Quartet and Saxophone Trio will play on April 21 and 29.

The FCHS Saxophone Quartet and Saxophone Trio will  perform at CSU on April 21 at 3 p.m. and The Fort Collins Museum of Art on April 29 at 7 p.m.

At these two recitals, the quartet and trio will perform classical pieces arranged for saxophone ensembles, in order to work against the status quo of the saxophone being viewed as merely a jazz instrument.

“The saxophone doesn’t get enough representation as a classical instrument, and classical recitals allow people to see the versatility of the instrument and give it the recognition it deserves,” Sophomore Noah Martin, alto player in the Saxophone Quartet, said.

At the CSU performance, the quartet will play “Libertango” by Astor Piazzolla, “Tango Apasionado” by Atsor Piazzolla, and “American” by Antonin Dvorak. 

The museum performance will open with the trio playing “Flight” by Snarky Puppy and “Lincolnshire Posy” by Percy Grainger. After this, the trio and quartet will combine and be joined by Dai Phuong Nguyen, music teacher at Boltz Middle School, to perform “The Sea Between” by The Artvark and Apollo Quartets.

Both performances are free, and no reservations are required.